"Cooking is so tedious!"
"I want to cook, but it takes too much time."
"I would do more than warm frozen food, but I ruin everything."
"While I want to save money, cooking is too overwhelming."
"I need to eat better, but I burn toast!"
Do these notions sound familiar? Do you want to change the tune?
Cooking for yourself is not an essential life skill, but it is one that can deeply improve your well-being, boost your health status, and bolster your bank account. It's tricky to cook when we are busy and loaded with obligations.
Yet, once you know how to do the basics, the trickiness mellows and the task of making a meal begins to be easy.
This course has been designed as a 5-week / 4-class series to ease your anxieties and build your confidence. Whether you are afraid to boil water or require 3 hours to assemble Blue Apron, this course will set you straight and put you on a path to ease and efficiency in the kitchen.
Each class is carefully designed into a cohesive syllabus, layering skills from one week to the next:
We will tackle the basics of cooking from the saute to the braise to the basics of flavor building and the many ways to cook an egg. You will learn how to season and salt appropriately, how to multi-task, and how to properly season a pan so your food doesn't stick!
Here are the highlights:
- Each class will be split between demonstration and hands-on cooking.
- Emphasis will include how to integrate cooking into your busy schedule.
- Knife skill basics will be covered in class #1, and reiterated throughout the course to lay the groundwork for efficiency and ease.
- Perfectly scheduled on a Sunday afternoon, you will eat before you leave class (or take it home) and you will be prepared with some leftovers for the week ahead.
- We will keep the momentum alive in between classes in a private Facebook group where you can post questions, recipes, and receive support.
- You will also have homework assignments in between classes to simply cook and apply what we have learned.
- Each student will receive recipes, how-to guides, and reference guides in a customized binder to fill as the class progresses.
If you are eager to improve your culinary skills, work out the kinks, understand the exceptions, and know how to whip up a meal with confidence and precision, join us!
Scroll down for the details . . .
The details - Let's Get Cooking!
Class size will be limited to a maximum of 6 students. Instruction will be a blend of demonstration and hands-on learning. The recipes we will cover will include both meat and vegetarian dishes. Most recipes will be naturally gluten free, and most allergens can be accommodated.
You will be provided with a 3-ring binder to collect the recipes and instructional guides distributed in each class. This material will compliment the content in class to support you when you go home. You will also have access to Nancy via email and through your private Facebook group throughout the series to address your questions in between classes. The Facebook group will remain live through early November keep you going and to encourage integration of your learning. Each class will end with a cooking-oriented homework assignment that will build your confidence and put food on your table.
FALL 2017 ATLANTA Dates & venue-
Grant Park, Atlanta (2:30 - 5:30 pm):
All Atlanta Classes will be held in Nancy's Grant Park home.
New York City - Early 2018
All New York classes will be held at the Brooklyn Brainery.
The following outline is subject to change . . .
CLASS 1 - Sunday, September 24, 2:30 to 5:30 pm
Building Flavor, Introduction
Dry Roasting / Toasting Nuts
CLASS 2 - Sunday, October 1, 2:30 to 5:30 pm
Sauté and Sweating
Roasting / Baking & Brining
Searing and Braising
CLASS 3 - Sunday, October 15, 2:30 to 5:30 pm
Stocks & Broths
CLASS 4 - Sunday, October 22, 2:30 to 5:30 pm
Eggs - Poaching, Omelets, Frittatas
Preservation - Freezing, Defrosting, Refrigeration
Cost and Payment Structure:
Your investment covers:
- All Ingredients
- All Supplies
- Prep & Clean-Up Time
- A Kitchen Assistant
- Recipes and Complimentary Learning Materials
- Email access to Nancy with a 36 hour response commitment.
Nancy combines her training in nutrition and integrative health, a Masters of Urban Planning and over a decade of professional culinary experience in Radiant Health NYC. She supports her clients to redefine how they eat and their relationship to food. She guides them to build culinary skills, and fine-tune their pantries so they can feel amazing in their skin AND in the kitchen.